Call Today for a FREE
in Office Consultation

(407) 956-4359

Toll Free: 1-88-VISA-LAW-1

Fiancé Visas

Establishing Visas Before Marriage

If you are planning on getting married to a foreign national and you are a United States citizen, or vice versa, it is important that the two of your establish eligibility for a fiancé visa. Fiancé visas are also known as K-1 visas and if they are not obtained in a timely manner, they may cause complications. Postpone weddings and even deportation may occur if a fiancé K-1 visa is not granted. Once you and your betrothed have decided on which country you will make your permanent residence, it is important to start the fiancé visa process.

If you are looking to obtain a K-1 visa, this will allow you and your fiancé to be married in the United States. Once the wedding has happened, the non-citizen may apply for full-time residency or naturalization within 90 days of the wedding.

Eligibility for a K-1 Visa

To enter into the United States as a fiancé on a K-1 visa, you must be engaged to be married to a citizen of the United States. The petitioning couple must prove that they have met face-to-face within the past two years and are currently not married to one another. Various forms such as the I-129 Petition for Alien Fiancé form must be submitted to the USCIS office.

Once the form has been processed, it will then be passed onto the Consulate where your fiancé will then apply for a fiancé visa. The second step of the process requires that the soon-to-be-married couple provide valid medical exams, fingerprinting and conduct an interview with an immigration officer. Once the K-1 visa is issued, you and your fiancé will have 90 days to get married.

If you are having trouble applying for a K-1 fiancé visa or have questions regarding processing and eligibility, contact our law group today. Our attorneys at Pozo Goldstein, LLP are experienced in immigration law and deportation defense and can provide sound legal assistance to anyone applying for a fiancé visa. After marriage, our attorneys can assist in establishing residency and family visas and even assist in naturalization.