Call Today for a FREE
in Office Consultation

(407) 956-4359

Toll Free: 1-88-VISA-LAW-1

Student Visa

Studying Abroad

Are you a student participating a study abroad program with your university or college? Even if you are looking to attend school full-time at an American University but are living in a different country, you will need to receive a student visa. All students looking to enroll in a university or educational program for at least 18 hours minimum must apply for a student or visitor visa. To apply, the individual in question must become SEVP certified. An I-20 form must be filled out and submitted to the Student and Exchange Visitor Program before applying for a student visa. This form is to be filled out and submitted by the school or educational program, not the student.

There are two main types of visas that students can apply for. They include:

F-1 Academic Student Visa This visa is available to students who want to attend full-time at an American school. This visa can be granted to university level students, or even elementary students. To be eligible, students must gain a certificate, degree or diploma from the educational institution.

M-1 Vocational Student Visa This visa is granted to students who are attending a vocational school within the United States. All students looking to receive an M-1 visa must be full-time and attending the educational facility with a full course load.

Each visa requires that the student be proficient in English, at least enough to support study and classwork. The student must provide proof of adequate income from either themselves or their parents and be enrolled as a full time student. They also must maintain residency within their home country and under certain circumstances, they will be allowed to work part-time.

If you have any questions regarding obtaining a student visa for yourself or a family member, it is important to contact your local consulate, the place of education in which you hope to be attending and if you have any questions regarding processing to contact an attorney. Immigration and visas can be complicated and regulations are strict. If you are concerned about eligibility or being granted a student visa, contact Pozo Goldstein, LLP today.